Adults & Seniors (18+)
For clients over the age of 18, NOSP provides a range of support and therapeutic services for mental health, addiction, and seniors.
Mental Health Counselling & Psychiatry
NOSP is a safe, confidential and judgement free place to work through any mental health issues you may be having. If you are struggling with life, relationships, work, or overall well-being reach out, we are here to help.
Making changes can be difficult, but with support, it is possible to learn new ways of working through life challenges.
Using a client-centered approach, NOSP Counsellors utilize evidence-based strategies and methods to support clients struggling with life challenges and mental illness to work towards improving overall well-being
We can help you talk about:
- Depression & Anxiety
- Work or life stress
- Change and/or transitions
- Family Violence
NOSP Psychiatry services has both on-site and tele-medicine based sessions that offer psychiatric based assessments with recommendations for diagnosis, medication and/or recommended treatment options for registered clients.
Addictions & Support
Addiction can include a range of issues such as alcohol, drugs, prescription drugs, and problem gambling. NOSP offers a range of support and services for those ready to work on creating change and reducing the negative impact of their addiction.
NOSP is able to complete the required assessments needed to make referrals to Treatment Centers. Once assigned to an NOSP Counsellor, they will also work with clients to help coordinate referrals and discharge support planning.
Sometimes the wait to get into a Treatment Centre can be long. NOSP Counsellors can provide support while you wait before going to treatment and once you return.
In some District of Thunder Bay communities, there are different group options to participate in. Reach out to your local office to enquire about the group options available in your community.
To connect with general mental health and well-being self-help programs, discover Big White Wall and BounceBackBounceBack Ontario Big White Wall Canada
Rent Supplement & Support Program
The Rental Supplement/Support Program (RSSP) is available to assist people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless, to secure safe, affordable and permanent housing.
Through ongoing support, RSSP will support participants in accessing community services such as health and support services where issues leading to homelessness are identified and addressed.
Senior Volunteer in Service (SVIS) Programs
SVIS is a volunteer (free) friendly visiting program that provides seniors who live alone with companionship from another senior. The goal of SVIS is to help seniors age with dignity, allow people to remain in their own homes, in their own communities, for as long as possible with increased socialization to avoid the devastating impacts of isolation.
Benefits For Recipients
- Social interaction with a volunteer, including a sense of being connected to the community
- A companion to share interests, conversation, or hobbies with
- A compassionate listener
- A helper to assist them with grocery shopping, getting to the clinic, or doing other minor errands within their community
- An enjoyable interlude in their day (a new face, someone new to talk to, etc)
Benefits For Volunteers
- A network of peers for support
- A learning opportunity, both through regular training and workshops and from the clients themselves
- The opportunity to help seniors in the community and an outlet for your caring nature
- Purposeful activity and a meaningful pastime that combats loneliness among local seniors
- The benefit of knowing you are making a difference in someone’s life - and that it’s appreciated!